Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Canton, Ohio

Request a FREE Consultation



    Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Canton, Ohio

    If you have been injured on the job, there is a good chance you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. Workers’ compensation benefits in Ohio includes coverage for expenses related to your injury, including medical treatment, lost wages, and compensation for permanent impairments. If you believe that you may be entitled to workers’ comp benefits, the following information will show you how to get the process started.

    Starting Your Claim

    Before you file an official claim, you need to alert your employer to your condition. This should be done as soon as possible. Then, you will need to make a formal report to the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC).

    FROI Form

    For your claim to be complete, you will need to fill out an Occupational Disease or Death (FROI) form. You can download a copy of this form from the Internet, or fill in the online form. If your place of employment has this form, you can get it there as well. Some employers will even fill in the report and submit it on your behalf.

    Time Limits

    The BWC has strict guidelines that must be followed when filing a workers’ compensation claim in Canton, OH as well as in the other municipalities in the state. Your FROI form must be filed within two years of the date you were injured. If your condition has developed over time, you must meet one of the following the following time limitations:

    • No more than two years after you became unable to work because of the condition
    • No more than six months after the date a doctor initially diagnosed you with the condition

    The BWC will inform you of the status of your claim within 28 days of its submission.

    Appealing a Denial

    If the BWC has denied your claim, you have the right to appeal the decision. If you decide to appeal, you must do so within two weeks (14 days) of your notification. You can file an appeal by completing an online form through the Industrial Commission Online Network (ICON) or file a Notice of Appeal form IC-12 in writing to the ICON office nearest to your home. Once you have filed your appeal, ICON will send you a notice that states the date, time, and place of your hearing.

    If you have questions regarding filing a workers’ compensation claim, contact Liner Legal today. We can help you get the benefits you deserve.