Veterans Benefits in Sandusky, OH
If you are a veteran and live in the Sandusky, Ohio area, be sure to take advantage of the many veterans services that are available to you through the Erie County Veteran’s Services office.
Who is Eligible for Disability Benefits?
- Any United States military veteran is eligible for health benefits. The other benefits are open to the following people:
- US veterans
- Dependents of US veterans
- Surviving spouses or children of deceased veterans
- Members of the military reserves or National Guard
- Active duty military service members
Temporary Financial Assistance
If you have lived in Erie County for at least 90 days, you may be eligible to receive temporary funds to help you pay for essential needs such as food, housing, and utilities. Before you are awarded these benefits, the Veteran’s Services office will expect you to prove your veteran status, household income, assets, and current bills.
Veterans Services also offers transportation benefits for those people who need them. The office runs a van that transports vets in Erie County to Cleveland are VA Centers. The van picks vets up at their homes Monday through Friday as early as 6:30 A.M. They also provide commercial transportation to and from the Sandusky VA Community-Based Outpatient Clinic.
Flags and Grave Markers
A Veterans Services representative will also help you apply for a monument to mark the grave of an eligible veteran. The office will also provide an American flag that can be draped over the casket of any eligible veteran.
Disability benefits for veterans are granted and distributed through Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can provide you with disability compensation if you are at least 10% disabled as a result of your military service. Another option is a disability pension, for which you can be eligible if you are a military veteran with a limited income and can either no longer work or have reached the age of 65. There is no deadline for applying for either type of these benefits.
- There are many representatives at Veterans Services of Erie County who can help you with several other services they offer as well.
- Applying for benefits from Veterans Affairs
- Service-connected compensation
- Non-service connected disability
- VA health care enrollment
- Death and burial benefits
- Vocational rehabilitation
- Education and training
- Vocational rehabilitation and employment
- Home loans
- Burial benefits
- Dependent and survivors’ benefits
- Life insurance
If you have any questions regarding veterans benefits in Sandusky, Ohio, contact Liner Legal today. We are here to help you.