Cleveland Deaf Discrimination Lawyers
Advocating Against All Forms of Deaf Discrimination
- Title I – Employment: Prohibits employers, employment agencies, labor unions and joint-labor management committees from discriminating against persons with disabilities.
- Title II – State and Local Governments: Requires state and local governments to make their programs, services, and activities accessible to individuals with disabilities, including individuals who are Deaf or hard of hearing.
- Title III – Public Accommodations: Requires public businesses to ensure people with a disability have equal access to all that the businesses have to offer.
- Title IV – Telecommunications Relay Services: Mandates a nationwide system of telecommunications relay services to make the telephone network accessible to people who are Deaf or hard of hearing or have speech impairments.
- Audiometry – You must have an average air conduction hearing threshold of 90 decibels (dB) or worse in your better ear, and an average bone conduction hearing threshold of 60 dB or worse in your better ear.
- World Recognition Test – You must have a word recognition score of 40% or less in your better ear. This tests speech discrimination by using a list of standardized words.
- Cochlear Implants – If an individual has cochlear implants in one or both ears, they automatically qualify for disability benefits for one year after the implantation. After the year is up, the benefits are extended for as long as their word recognition score, using a “Hearing in Noise Test,” is 60% or less.
Deaf Discrimination Lawyers in Cleveland, Ohio
Even if you have an issue that is completely unrelated, feel free to drop in and visit with someone that speaks your language. If Andrew and Michael can’t help you, rest assured. Liner Legal is constantly networking with what we call, “Deaf friendly” attorneys. Any attorney that we work with must have a keen understanding of the complexity of the Deaf experience. That includes communicating through the preference of the Deaf individual, whether it is a relay service, a VP, text, email, or in person with an interpreter.